[parisc-linux] Recent CVS kernel: boot failure on 715/50 & inb() undefined

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:31:18 -0800

Daniel Engstrom wrote:

> Or maybe inb() and outb() should always be defined?

inb/outb need to be defined for the type of I/O bus being supported.

PArisc doesn't have inb/outb instructions like x86.
PCI bus support is platform specific - ie different depending on HBA.
GSC bus support requires faking "I/O port space".
EISA is similar to PCI in this regard.

But HP does have systems with GSC, EISA, and PCI in the same machine.
Right now, only PCI defines a dynamic interface to support all three
at the same time. This "design" definitely needs more work for GSC/EISA
bus support if you (or anyone else) is interested.

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab
+1.408.447.7253