[parisc-linux] cross compiling glibc

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:32:21 -0700

Sam Creasey wrote:
> Hopefully this procedure will work for you:
>

> (checkout glibc)
> cd glibc
> mkdir hppa1.1-linux
> cd hppa1.1-linux
>
> ../configure --disable-shared --disable-profile --enable-static-nss
> --build=i686-linux --host=hppa1.1-linux --disable-sanity-checks

So far so good. But since I wanted to build under HP-UX I had to change
a few things on the configure line:

../configure --disable-shared --disable-profile --enable-static-nss \
    --build=hppa1.1-hpux --host=hppa1.1-linux --disable-sanity-checks \
    --with-headers=/opt/puffin/include

/opt/puffin/include contains the linux headers files the Mathew Wilcox
tar'd and placed on puffin.external.hp.com.

> make

And then the make died for two different reasons:
1) can't use HP-UX sed. I pulled the sources from the
   porting center and installed them under /opt/puffin/

2) perl. HP-UX 11 ships with perl 4. glibc wants perl5.
   Pulled perl-5.005_03-1.hpux-11.0.depot.gz from puffin.external.hp.com
   and it got quite a bit further

3) I also removed "csu" from sysd-sorted directory list.
   Mathew told me to. So I did. This has to be done *after*
   running ./configure script.

and then the make completed.

> (yes, the entire make should actually happen right now -- though
> nss/makedb still won't compile without the binutils fix I just checked
> in).
>
> make install install_root=/raid/hp/root MAKEINFO=

Since my NFS root isn't on my build machine, I used
    make install install_root=/linux/root MAKEINFO=

with the plan on recursively copying that over to the nfs root.
For some reason I had to remove "csu" from sysd-sorted again.
Probably just forgot too while retrying something...

thanks Sammy!
grant

> This runs in install into the root for my 712's NFS mount.
> The MAKEINFO= is important, it keeps it from trying to build the manuals,
> which doesn't work without the addon.
>
> Hope it goes as smoothly for anyone else.
>
> -- Sam

Grant Grundler
Unix Development Lab
+1.408.447.7253