THANK YOU for the Linuxdays (fwd)

Mike Hibler mike@fast.cs.utah.edu
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:57:31 -0600 (MDT)

> Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 18:49:32 +0200
> From: Matthew Wilcox <Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com>
> To: "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu>
> Subject: Re: THANK YOU for the Linuxdays (fwd)
>
> On Wed, Sep 08, 1999 at 10:03:31AM -0500, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> > Ob.PA-RISC: Sorry my first post here is off topic. Perhaps I can
> > salvage that.  I've just aquired what I believe to be a HP9000 730/66
> > a.k.a. 'King Cobra' workstation. I haven't much time to play with it
> > right now, but I _will_ be following this list, and trying to get your
> > work up and running on it. Hopefully, this isn't too different from other
> > 7XX machines. Anyone know of any 'gotcha's ? (Oh, and I have zero HP/UX
> > experience (all Irix and Linux background).
>
> Maybe this will be OK.  It's PA-RISC 1.1a, a PA7000 processor like the
> 705/710/720/750 rather than the PA7100LC as the 712/715/etc machines have.
> We have docs on the 7100 and 7300 CPUs on the website, but no docs on
> the 7000.  I suspect that getting documentation on this CPU will be
> low-priority; even lower priority than the HIL keyboard driver :-)
> So it may work, but don't be surprised if it doesn't.

Those original snakes have the ASP bus, which is quite similar to the LASI.
You can look at the Mach code for differences.  A couple of other differences
that might bite you: the snakes don't have HW TLB miss handling support,
the block TLBs have some funky restrictions, and they have the NCR53C700
SCSI controller which is a little quirky compared to the 53C710 in the later
machines.  But none of these are show-stoppers.