[parisc-linux] Dino developments...

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 21:45:50 -0700

Alex - this is really cool.

Alex deVries wrote:

> I've fixed up a couple of things in the kernel:
>
> - PCI bus walking happens in the *right place*, pci_init().

Ok. Were you able to salvage what I had submitted then?
I was under the impression pci_init() wouldn't work. Registration of
the pci_bus_ops for each Dino looked like a problem.

Oh. I think I got it.  Each dino registers pci_bus_ops when it's
"discovered" and pci_init() is called later...is that right?
(I'll be looking at the code anyway...may not have to answer)

> - I've fixed the inventory code to handle hversion_rev and sversion_rev
> - Multiple Dinos are detected properly now
> - Card Mode Dino now seems to work for bus walking, the MMIO is a whole
> different story.

I'll start reviewing card-mode Dino initialization and see what we can
do for MMIO. I have to understand more about what the "right" thing for
linux is WRT I/O address management. This has to take place sometime
between when card-mode Dino is "discovered" and when PCI bus walk completes.
(So we know how much space is needed.)

What about interrupts?
Is alloc_irq() handing virtual IRQ's back to the PCI drivers for the
respective dino irq_region?
I'm curios if/how it is supposed to work and might take a peek at this
as well. Once this works, the box should be able to send mail - that's
a key milestone for HP folks..

cheers,
grant

Grant Grundler
Communications Infrastructure Computer Operations
+1.408.447.7253