[parisc-linux] arch/parisc/kernel/realmode_setup.c Question

Philipp Rumpf Philipp.H.Rumpf@mathe.stud.uni-erlangen.de
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:20:44 +0100

> > How far does it actually boot though?

> Transferring control to kernel. (At entry point 0x00010000)
> kernel(0x00148C80, 0x00504010, 0x00148C80, 0x00016640)
> Clear BSS 0x0011B048 --> 0x0013D690
> Boot loader: PA/Linux, maybe PALO
> realmode_setup exiting
>
> ... At this point it hangs.  Before, it always used to hang at:
> Transferring control to kernel. (At entry point 0x00010000)
>
> I still do not believe it ever successfully finished the rfi in head.S :(
> I still need to do some more research to verify this, but that is my
> gut feeling right now.

This sounds right.  It is indeed possible we cannot install a BTLB entry on
your CPU (and the firmware just reports success as it is free to according to
the documentation) or the BTLB entry gets removed before we get the chance to
do our first printk.

For both problems, the answer is within reach, and is called "a separate direc-
tory for real-mode code".  Being able to debug unexpected TLB insertion handler
calls is one of the immediate advantages of having this directory, and sure is
going to be useful in the future (and would have been useful in the past).

Wanna bet we're going to get that machine to a sash prompt this week ?

	Philipp Rumpf