[parisc-linux] real mode stuff.

dkennedy@thepuffingroup.com dkennedy@thepuffingroup.com
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 00:41:28 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Alex deVries wrote:

> - Philipp and I agree that we should just create arch/parisc/kernel/real
> for all the real mode stuff
> - creating arch/parisc/real/pdc.c
> - moving some stuff in arch/parisc/kernel/realmode_setup.c to
> arch/parisc/real/setup.c or similiar.
>
> Let me know if there's objections.  I'll wait until Paul has a chance to
> read this before committing.

How much real mode code is there?  The i386 processor starts up in
a real mode as well.  Linux enters protected mode in head.S very
quickly.  If real mode on the PA-RISC is only used during
initialization, then I don't think that it warrants a separate
directory.  If real mode is used during normal operation, then I say
sure.

Of course, that's my opinion, which means little.

--
David Kennedy
The Puffin Group