[parisc-linux] _end symbol in parisc linux?

Paul Bame bame@debian.fc.hp.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:36:14 -0700

I'm also worried about why there are data symbols following BSS in
our current palinux kernel...

= Though I'd worry about precisely *why* someone wants the _end symbol; whatever
= they're trying to do there's probably a better way.

Maybe there is a better way.  The first reason I want to use _end
(and _edata) is to clear the kernel BSS reliably (which is working
great).

The second reason, which doesn't currently work, is to have a symbol
pointing at the very end of kernel memory, since that is where
free memory will start.

Both these tasks are currently being done at run-time -- in one case
by parsing the SOM header and in another case by guessing about a
parameter passed in by the hpux bootloader -- neither is currently
reliable despite the considerable experimentation and
sweat others have poured into the effort.  I want to avoid parsing
the SOM header and guessing about bootloaders in the future.  It
would also be great to use an old, reliable, and language-system
independent.

	-P