[parisc-linux] _end symbol in parisc linux?

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Sat, 06 Nov 1999 13:08:22 -0700

  In message <19991106192614.H11609@mathe.stud.uni-erlangen.de>you write:
  > > Anybody know how to get PA-Linux to have an _end symbol like
  > > most other programs, including Intel Linux?
  >
  > AFAIK we would need to have linker scripts to do so, which seems to be impo
  > ssible
  > with the HP/UX ld.  So this is on the "things that will get nicer when we h
  > ave
  > GNU binutils again" list.
Actually, you can with SOM with clever use of the sort_key attribute within
a subspace.  Create a new subspace with a larger than normal sort key.  Within
that space create a single symbol "_end".

Though I'd worry about precisely *why* someone wants the _end symbol; whatever
they're trying to do there's probably a better way.

jeff