[parisc-linux] serial console

Giles Lean giles@nemeton.com.au
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:50:30 +1000

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:10:19 +0200  Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> > Also, is there an equivalent to Sun's L1-A or the Indy's
> > send-break-over-serial that will get me back to the PROM in the event
> > that Linux jumps to east nowhere?  Or do I have to power cycle?
>
> So far everbody denied the existance of that essentiell (at least for
> kernel hackers) feature.

Historically on HP servers (series 800 machines) ^B gets you to "PROM"
mode.  It has varied on different machines whether this is enabled and
disabled by a key, or a switch on the back, or is not able to be
disabled at all.

Some newer machines (some D series, all A series, all R series) don't
have this functionality out unless an "access port" card is added to
the system.  These systems do still have a TOC (Transfer of Control)
button so that dumps can be taken.

I'll dig out the part number for the access port card if anyone cares;
I don't have it to hand right now.

Regards,

Giles