[parisc-linux] Trouble building CVS binutils

Matthew Wilcox willy@thepuffingroup.com
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:18:47 -0500

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 12:16:55PM -0500, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> Now back to finding out why nm no longer likes to work on vmlinux...

I'm closer...

in bfd/som.c, function setup_sections(), in the subspace_index loop, around
line 2025 here:

          subspace_asect->alignment_power = log2 (subspace.alignment);
          if (subspace_asect->alignment_power == -1)
            goto error_return;

subspace.alignment is _0_ in one of the subspaces.  HP's nm manages
just fine.  GNU's bails, which actually seems pretty reasonable to me :-)
Two questions spring to mind:
Why is the linker producing a subspace with an alignment of 0?
What should BFD do when it encounters a file with such an alignment?

I shall continue investigating to see if I can find the answer to #1.