[parisc-linux] cd-rom

Sandy Harris sandy@storm.ca
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:52:58 -0500

"Soto, Gene G." wrote:

> I need to load 10.02 and am having problems mounting a NEC cdr-1410a cd-rom
> on my system (9000/712).  Any advice on where to go for help would be
> appreciated.  (SAM sees the device but I can't mount it).

Quite a few workstations seem to be picky about CD-ROM drives,
especially for booting and installing the OS. For Suns, the issue is
sector size. PC CDs want to use 512 and Sun wants 2K or vice versa.
I forget which way around it is. Some drives work on Sun, some need a
jumper change to work, some just don't.

A friend trying to install HP-UX on a 712 recently succeeded with the
fifth drive he tried. All drives worked fine on other systems. After
the install, he tried using a couple of the failed ones on the HP, and
that worked too.

I'd suggest trying a different drive.