[kernel] bug#109: despite iptables patch, trap 27 still occurs

None

X-PA-RISC Linux-PR-Message: report 109
X-PA-RISC Linux-PR-Package: kernel
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 12:41:01 -0600
From: Grant Grundler <grundler@puffin.external.hp.com>
To: 109@bugs.parisc-linux.org

I verfied I was using the iptables binary that was built with the
patch applied to the Makefile.  Scrounging through the 1.2.1 source
I see something else in the Makefile:
# Waiting for inclusions in the kernel tree.
PENDING_PATCHES:=tos-fix.patch dropped-table.patch seqoffset.patch irc-conntrack
-nat.patch
# These went in previous kernels.
PENDING_PATCHES+=ipv6-fixes.patch.ipv6 masquerade+fwmark.patch nat-overlap.patch
 ppc-sparc-mangle.patch

Perhaps parisc/parisc64 (or __hppa__ rather)  also needs a patch?
I didn't find any references "sparc" in the sources so I doubt it.
Any other ideas?

I haven't reviewed the following iptables code yet either:
./include/libipq/libipq.h:#ifdef KERNEL_64_USERSPACE_32
./libiptc/libiptc.c:#ifdef KERNEL_64_USERSPACE_32

I've pushed my iptables_1.2.1-1_hppa.deb to pehc:~grundler in case someone
on a 64-bit box wants to play more with it. Please read issues below before
applying this to your system or uploading to pehc:~ftp site.

I notice two other problems with the iptables debian packaging:
1) dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc fails with

	debstd -m
	make: debstd: Command not found

   And
	a500:~# dpkg -l debmake
in  debmake        <none>         (no description available)

I built and installed debmake_3.6.9_all.deb since I now have xlibs
(or whatever it was).  uploaded to pehc:~ftp/pub/parisc/binaries/debian/debs.

   Now the buildpackage complains about a few other things:
	WARNING: debian/rules file potentially contains a bashism but has no SHELL = ? statement.
	It might be wise to add a line SHELL = /bin/bash to debian/rules

   An iptables_1.2.1-1_hppa.deb did get built. However, I'm not going to
   upload because of the next issue which I'm not going to resolve.

2) We need to deliver two iptables binaries and install the correct one
   depending on what flavor of kernel is running on the system.
   The patch to the Makefile means iptables binary encodes the ioctl data
   structure layout for a 32 or 64-bit kernel. Normally, both sparc64 and
   parisc64 would provide a "compatibility" wrapper in
   	arch/parisc/kernel/ioctl32.c.
   So normally, we would only need to deliver a 32-bit iptables binary
   and 64-bit kernel would fixup the data structure.

   If sparc and sparc64 share one package, they will have the same problem.

grant