[parisc-linux] Problem on a 735/125 with non-hp scsi disks

Giorgio Brunoldi giorgio.brunoldi at fastwebnet.it
Tue Mar 30 12:38:31 MST 2004

Hi everybody,

I have two 375/125 machines which are not provided with floppy and cdrom.
Workstations have "official" HP-FWD-SCSI Hard Disks (which I know are not
supported by Pa-Risc Linux) and neither floppy nor cdrom drive.

My first (and last) success was adapting an old SCSI Apple CD 600i (2x) and
get the first installation CD boot from that peripheral. What I did was to
disconnect the FWD SCSI cable from internal HDs and set the termination on
that bus. After that I connected the Single Ended SCSI connector to an
external box containing the CDRom.

I also have 2 spare SCSI HDs which are single ended and on which I'd like to
install Linux:

IBM 0662-S12:	1.20 Gb Fast SCSI (50 Pin Connector)
IBM DFHS-S2W:	2.25 Gb Wide SCSI (68 Pin High Density Connector)

To try both disks I detached the external CDRom drive and in the same way I
connected an external box with HD inside. FWD SCSI connector is still
terminated.

To test the 68 pin disk I used a 68 to 50 pin adapter.

In this way, during boot time, no SCSI disk is found during bus scan by the
workstations. I set both HDs as ID 6 but I think I'm doing somwthing wrong.
I forgot to say the external box has 2 centronics 50 SCSI connectors; one is
connected to the 50 High Density connector on the workstation, the other is
terminated with a centronics passive terminator.

I tryied to figure out the correct jumper settings cross-referencing from HDs
tech specifications and HP 375 manuals but maybe I didn't find the right
configuration.

- Is there any of you guys who has succeded in installing Linux on this kind
of disks?

- Can you please tell me which are the features I should check in jumper
settings to activate/deactivate the "right functions" and make my systems
work?

- I red somewhere that bootable HDs have to be provided with a proper boot
record formatting to be revealed during bus-scan. Is it true?

Thank You Very Much for your help.

Giorgio (Italy)