[parisc-linux] Re: No PS2 keyboard/mouse on B132L, 2.6.[34]

Andy Walker ajwalker at broadpark.no
Thu Mar 18 03:36:18 MST 2004

Time to compile....

> -Andy

I realized just after sending that mail that the delay was a wild goose
chase in my case. What I really needed to test was unplugging the KVM and
hooking up a mouse directly. Done that now, with a Logitech
MouseMan and my Labtec wireless roller mouse. Both of these get detected
okay.

I added a few debug statements in atkbd_probe() and found that the
combination of the GSC ps/2 and the KVM fail ATKBD_CMD_GETID on the mouse
port. The default action in this case is to call
ATKBD_CMD_SETLEDS - seems a bit haphazard and not something you'd
want to be doing to a mouse (or a KVM emulating a mouse). The SETLEDS
command fails in gscps2.c with a timeout (timeout writing byte 0xed which
is the second byte of 0x10ed == SETLEDS).

At this point I believe the GSC ps/2 port is stuck, so the subsequent
mouse probe fails too (need more debug statements to prove this - later).

On a PC running 2.6.3 all this just seems to work, even with the KVM.
ATKBD_CMD_GETID succeeds and tells the system that this isn't a
keyboard, and everything proceeds normally. So the problem seems to be
something in the interraction between the GSC ps/2 port and the KVM. I'm
not giving up on this yet as I really want to use this
machine with the KVM.

cheers,
-Andy