[parisc-linux] Re: No PS2 keyboard/mouse on B132L, 2.6.[34]

Martin Schulze joey at infodrom.org
Sun Mar 14 11:12:56 MST 2004

M. Grabert wrote:
> > For what it's worth, these settings don't activate my keyboard,
> > but... tadam...  the mouse is recognised, finally.  However, if
> > I have to choose to use either keyboard or mouse, I'd choose the
> > keyboard.
> >
> > CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
> > CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_SUNKBD is not set
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD is not set
> > # CONFIG_KEYBOARD_NEWTON is not set
> > CONFIG_KEYBOARD_HIL=y
>
> Why do you include HIL keyboard support?

Because the keyboad is connected to a HIL hub and it's also a
reminiscent of the time before I learned that the keyboard and mouse
are not handled entirely separate anymore.  I still have to strip some
config options from the configuration.

> > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
> > CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
> > CONFIG_MOUSE_SERIAL=y
>
> do you need serial mouse support?

Well, at one time I tried to fix the mouse problem by connecting a
serial mouse to ttyS0/ttyS1 but it didn't work either, even though a
getty on that port worked and I could log in, hence the port works at
least and is supported in the kernel.

> > CONFIG_MOUSE_HIL=y
>
> and why do you include HIL mouse support?

Same as above, because the mouse is connected to a HIL hub and it's a
reminiscent from the time before I learned that the keyboard and mouse
are not handled entirely separate anymore for parisc.

> > Any idea how to get the keyboard detected again?
> > (This is a 725/100)
>
> I don't know the 725, but from what I understand it uses (GSC) PS/2, so you
> attach keyboard and mouse directly, without any converters. Is that correct?

No it isn't.  That's the case for 712, not this one.  There's a HIL
hub where I can connect one keyboard, one mouse and another HIL hub.
The case doesn't have any PS/2 socket.

> If this is the cause, get rid of all HIL drivers and use PS/2 exclusively.
> I think using a combination of HIL and PS/2 drivers might cause some
> sort of driver confusion in your case.

Might well be.  I'm still working on stripping the stuff and testing
various combinations.

> > If it helps to provide more information, please let me know and I'll
> > dig them out.
> >
> >  	  Say Y here if you have a PS/2 mouse connected to your system. This
> >  	  includes the standard 2 or 3-button PS/2 mouse, as well as PS/2
> >  	  mice with wheels and extra buttons, Microsoft, Logitech or Genius
> > -	  compatible.
> > +	  compatible. This also includes a PS/2 mouse connected to your HIL
> > +	  hub on PA-RISC.
>
> I'm confused here!
>
> AFAIK if you are using HIL, you ONLY have to use the HIL keyboard/mouse
> drivers, PS/2 is a different thing and is not involved at all.
> (I hope I don't say anything stupid here).

Aha.  I thought it was different.  Maybe I misread Helges mail.

> So far I thought that you cannot attach a PS/2 mouse to a HIL adapter,
> you can only attach HIL devices ... (at least this is the case for my 730)

Well, at least physically this is possible.  I haven't tried to use
that combination, though, since I have the original mouse and
keyboard as well.  However, I could give it a try once I find a
working config combination.

--
Life is too short to run proprietary software.  -- Bdale Garbee