[parisc-linux] Stability / Kernel 2.6.1 / HD Freezes

Jools Smyth jools at oxfordinspire.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 12:30:26 MST 2004

Hi all,

I've been reading the list for a while, thought I should join. I'm not really
a developer (well not on hppa) but I am happy to test stuff out :-)

First of all, I want to thank everyone whos worked on linux for HPPA.
I never really felt comfortable with hp-ux, and getting things working was
always a pain.

I own a model 9000/800/A180c. (512 mb ram / 18gb hd)

I was running previously the 2.4 series kernels, but had a lot of crashes
during HD access. I have seen this mentioned before, and Its probably the
same issue ? (In fact most of the crashes were during package
unpacking/installation). Since moving to the 2.6 series this hasnt happened.
Is this scsi issue now fixed, or have I been lucky ? (I did have a crash
recently involving a debug file being written. Could it be this problem
again ?)

I just built Linux hp9000 2.6.1-pa7 and on my system it seems to be working
fine.

Also, does anyone here know why dovecot wouldnt work with libgnutls on hppa ?
the dovecot maintainer has been trying to debug it on my machine (If my
machine hadnt crashed). works fine with openssl. Has anybody had any other
problems with libgnutls ?

Best Regards

Jools
--