[parisc-linux] Installing Debian on an 712/80

Brian Barber brianbarber at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 12 07:12:32 MST 2004

With the older Sun CDROM drive and the full debian-hppa iso, the install was trivial.  One thing that is really remarkable is the "power on to login prompt" speed.  Everything that I have tried so far works great.  This is a brilliant port.

The only hangup I had was installing XFree86.  I tried installing using x-window-system, which kept failing with twm as a broken dependency (Depend: twm is needed but will not be installed / Sorry, broken package [sic - going off the top of my head]).  I installed with x-window-system-core, which was successful, and then installed individual packages as required (e.g. xterm, xdm, etc.)

Thanks for the guidance on the CDROM drive.  That tip might want to find its way into the install documentation for other PARISC rookies.

Cheers,
BB

PS: Now that I have a working machine, how can I help the development effort?