[parisc-linux] running gcc testsuite triggers ongoing page faults

John David Anglin dave at hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca
Sun Jan 11 13:49:44 MST 2004

> I think I did see this first with gcc-3.3 from 20031229. Running the
> 3.3 testsuite (gcc) doesn't terminate. Instead, I see expect eating
> all CPU time, together with syslogd and klogd. /var get's filled with
> log messages in kern.log, syslog and debug.
>
> The machine is a A500, kernel from the archives (kernel-image-2.4.21-64-smp_pa7.3)

I've had similar problems on gsyprf11, but recent kernels seem to be
better.  I believe that this is more likely on SMP kernels and we have
never had a stable one on gsyprf11.  You can kill expect and GCC will
move on to the next suite.  I haven't seen this on the C3750.

This definitely isn't a GCC problem.  The problem never occurs under
hpux.  It's probably some kind of timing or locking issue that just
happens to get tweaked by a particular test.

Dave
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)