[parisc-linux] scsi problem on a scorpio (715)

Steve Bromwich hppa at fop.ns.ca
Wed Jan 7 19:30:30 MST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Riccardo wrote:

[snip]
> A lot of different HD's (even HP spare parts) freeze up the kernel
> during mkfs.
[snip]
> Guy Martin suggested me to change the TAG default value in the NCR
> 53x700 driver from 16 to 8 since that is what HP used. I didn't get a
> big improvment. I still have one of the inriminated disks. Issuing
> several mkfs (usually the second) freezes the kernel.

I had a similar problem and fixed it by setting tags to 8 (my problem
drive is a Quantum Fireball). Grant Grundler mentioned that "as of 5 years
ago, HP-UX default was 8 for servers and 2 for workstations"; as the 715
is a workstation it might be worth trying setting tags to 2 and seeing
what happens?

What drives have you tried, out of curiosity?

Cheers, Steve