[parisc-linux] C3000 and Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI Controller

M. Grabert xam at cs.ucc.ie
Fri Feb 27 18:05:03 MST 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, M. Grabert wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Grant Grundler wrote:
>
> > Anyone interested in deleted all use of the cpu_to_leXX
> > and leXX_to_cpu in linux-2.6/arch/parisc/lib/io.c?
>
> What do I have to do?
>
> I assumed that I just have to remove the use of the functions, nothing else.
> I've created a modified io.c for 2.4 and for 2.6 (can be found here:
> http://www.cs.ucc.ie/~xam/io/ ). I used a CVS version updated a couple
> of minutes ago, just after the merge with 2.6.4-rc1.

[...]

> I'll test the the modifications tomorrow morning (in about 10 hours that is),

Well, I actually couldn't resist and tried the modifications on a
linux-2.4.25-pa0 kernel (with a hard drive attached to onboard IDE
controller of the C3000).

The 'vanilla' linux-2.4.25-pa0 works, but without DMA.
With the modifications I made, the onboard IDE shows similar big-endian
problems as when using the siimage driver with a unpatched kernel (actually what I
somehow expected).

It really looks as either the Promise and the onboard-IDE have big-endian
issues (which were revealed by these modifications), or the siimage driver
has a big-endian problem.

I will test the Promise card (perhaps even the Silicon Image card), and
the 2.6-kernel tomorrow.

BTW, all my other additional hardware seem to work correctly (second
ethernet network card, a wireless network card, 5-port USB2.0 card).

Thanks,
Greetings from Ireland,
   Max