[parisc-linux] Hanging with kernels >= 2.4.22

Joel Soete soete.joel at tiscali.be
Sun Feb 22 10:54:55 MST 2004

Hi Ricardo,

Riccardo wrote:
> pre-scriptum: I am sending this to the list because when trying to send
> an email directly to Joel I get his MTA answering I have invalid headers
> (tried two times)

Sorry my ISP pb certainly, I will try to check with support. Thanks for advise ;)

> Joel Soete wrote:
>

>>>I would set the tag queue as default to 8 and not to 16, to stay on the
>>>safe side. Couldn't it be made configurable from the kernel
>>>configuration menu?
>>>

>>Good idea.
>
> It is not me that can make changes there, but it seems to me that 8 is
> reasonable.
Agreed (anyway you can always suggest a patch, there are always well come :) )
> Also, a kernel config option would make this parameter
> obvious to everybody. I had only a small preformance decrease from 16 to
> 8 tags (well, disk IO sucks anyway under linux-pa and my old box). While
> 2 is pure sufference :)
>

>>And you are sure that scsi id are well different and scsi chain well terminated, I supose.
>
> Yes, the internal chain is terminated with the original HP terminator
> and I removed the disk internal ones.
> In fact substituing the original HP disk with another one removed the
> problem (strangely enough, with the older IBM drive as a second drive I
> had sometimes freezes but this problem did not appear).
>

>>hmm, I leaved the same experience but with two external disks of exactly the same type (same supplier: hp, same manufactor:
>>seagate, same product reference) but with a small firmware revision difference. Unfortunately, this pb only occured under linux
>>:(. Now the disk is broken again; so no chance to test it with more recent kernel 2.4 or 2.6 :(
>

> I used a failry recent kernel for there test, I believe 2.4.23.
>
> The scsi code doesn't seem to be so stable and performing as compared to
> hp-ux....

Certainly for numerous reason but on the other hand it is not ported (i don't mean portable, i am quiet sure it is) other platform :).

Thanks for info,
	Joel