[parisc-linux] Hanging with kernels >= 2.4.22

Carlos O'Donell carlos at baldric.uwo.ca
Sat Feb 21 23:04:56 MST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 06:24:36PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > I could never run IO stably at anything higher than 1. The drives don't
> > seem to handle it properly, the error recovery mechanisms seem less
> > than perfect, and the box just hangs.
>
> So, um, maybe we should change the default?  Nobody seems to be
> investigating why this happens, so I don't see why our users should
> suffer.  I doubt anyone's going to be terribly motivated to track this
> problem down for such old machines, so let's just sacrifice a little
> performance for stability.

It just doesn't work on those older boxes? I'm not quite sure how much
more investigation I can do. I mean I've got my 715/50's all running, I
could build a few more kernels and see what's going on.

I could also commit a change to lower the max tags down to 1, that seems
a little harsh for performance, but all those perf people can crank it
back up. Perhaps a build time configure option?

c.