[parisc-linux] glibc-2.3.3 & gcc-snapshot (3.5.0) pb: followup

Carlos O'Donell carlos at baldric.uwo.ca
Sat Feb 21 23:00:02 MST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:01:39PM +0000, Joel Soete wrote:
> It takes me some more time because I would test patch by patch with gcc-3.3
> if nothing was broken.
> But all those patch seems ok with gcc-3.3 (just have to revert it and
> re-run with make -k check ;) )

Yes, it is a lot of work. The fame will all be yours though.

> So I have to figure out what goes wrong in "relocation". Can you help me by
> pointing out some files and may functions to specialy analyse :).

My haiku was really intended to be a joke. Anything could be wrong with
the loader, you have to run it through gdb to get a usefull trace. Even
then you won't have symbols and you'll have to learn to decode the
address from /proc/self/maps and an 'objdump -d xxxxxx.so'. From there
you can find the offending code, go back to the code and examine if it
does anything odd... perhaps isolate what the code does in a testcase
that gcc-3.5 does incorreclty.

> BTW: The previous mentioned patch are (afaik) of general interest (not hppa
> specific) but would you like that I submit you first so that you could
> submit it to glibc maintainers or do you prefer that i manage that myself?

You should:

a. Make sure that i386 builds with your patches, and passes the
   testsuite without regressions.
b. Cleanup the patches, make *sure* your mailer doesn't wrap them, the
   previous patches were wrapped and broken.
c. Write a 'Changelog' entry for the changes, and describe why you are
   making these changes (e.g. compiling with gcc-3.5). These entries
   have a very special format, look closely, and follow the GNU coding
   convetions.
d. Submit them separately, with a description, changelog, and inline
   patch to the libc-alpha mailing list.

This will be a wonderful learning experience! :)

c.