[parisc-linux] Re: can't compile 2.4.24: pdc_cons.o problem!

Matthew Wilcox willy at debian.org
Sat Feb 21 18:20:33 MST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 05:52:41PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
> Normally, follow the conversations on parisc-linux mailing list.
> I don't know how useful bugs.debian.org is for kernel packages.
> "stable" hppa kernel is horridly stale (kernel-image-2.4.18*).
> Because of security bugs, folks should be using at least 2.4.24.
> (2.4.25 is the lastest available, not).
> 2.6 kernels seem to be working well for me (except for SMP).
> But it looks like the most recent debian upload was 2.4.21 based.

Wups, a common misconception by people not used to how Debian does things.
The Debian 2.4.x kernels receive backported security fixes rather than
just updating to the most recent version.  I can't say I entirely agree
with this policy, but it is how Debian security works.

See http://www.debian.org/security/ for announcements of newer
kernel versions.  For some reason, there's no 2.4.18-hppa update yet.
I don't know why that is, but I presume someone's working on it.

team at security.debian.org added to the cc list, in case there's anything
I can do to help.  Please remove them from the CC list if your reply
won't be of interest to them.

> I see that http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/downloads/autobuild-kernels/32/
> has a Packages.gz. But I don't know how the sources.list entry needs
> to look for apt-get to find it.

Something like:

deb http://cvs.parisc-linux.org/downloads/autobuild-kernels/ 32/

should do the trick, but I think you have the URL wrong.  I get:

/downloads/autobuild-kernels/32: unknown location