[parisc-linux] Panic on boot in 64 bit 2.6.6-rc1-pa0

James Bottomley James.Bottomley at steeleye.com
Fri Apr 23 13:43:42 MDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 15:27, John David Anglin wrote:
> I think I know why.  The 64-bit linker only supports a single stub
> table.  Things go bad when a branch can't reach its stub.  I hit this
> when I was trying to implement tail calls.

That's a bit, um, unfortunate, given the current kernel predisposition
for adding a new section for almost every new feature...

How hard would it be to fix this?  Surely all we really need is one stub
table per text section in the final executable (linux still has only
about five executable sections in the vmlinux.lds.S map).

James