[parisc-linux] Panic on boot in 64 bit 2.6.6-rc1-pa0

John David Anglin dave at hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca
Thu Apr 22 17:13:56 MDT 2004

> On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 18:50, John David Anglin wrote:
> > If schedule is too far away, the linker will add a long branch stub.
> > This apparently doesn't work in the kernel.  On the otherhand, `b,l'
> > should go about 8 MB without needing a stub.
>
> Well, but it does ... we have other jumps that seem to be correctly
> stubbed.

Looking at a couple ok 64-bit kernels, I'm surprised that stubs are
needed for "b,l x,%rp".  It suggests that these branches are getting
treated as 17-bit branches instead of 22-bit branches.  Of course,
"b" is limited to 17-bit displacements and it could easily need
a stub.

Which tool chain?

Dave
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)