[parisc-linux] B1000/C3000

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Fri Apr 16 09:38:47 MDT 2004

Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 01:00:01PM +0200, Corn? Beerse wrote:
>
>>Be noted that the Xvnc fron DebianWoody crashes on my HP-D370...
>

> Does the viewer from sid crash you box?

Since my D370 has no graphical display, the viewer will not work, i use the
viewer on my desktop.

> Any idea why it crashes?

Not jet, not time to investigate, so many other things to do...

The idea to use Xvnc for the X11-server for display :0 just came since I did
just that on a RedHatLinux server (hp DL380 ;) There it runs without a problem.

I think (well that will be my first step) is that the RedHatLinuxIntel box runs
in runlevel 5, the graphical runlevel. The D370 is in its text-console runelvel.
I think I need to force it in its graphical runlevel and convince the Xserver is
properly configured, even without the hardware. For that I have to dive into
Debian and its X11 configuration which (I have already seen) differs from
RedHat, SuSE and HP-UX.

For what its worth, Xvnc can (for a start) just replace the other X11-server
binary. Once that works (`vncviewer palinux:0` gives a login box), the call to
Xvnc can be extended with some configuration like colordepth, resolution and
security, see `Xvnc --help` for a list of options and the `vncserver` script for
some other details.

CBee