[parisc-linux] B1000/C3000

Corné Beerse cbeerse at lycos.nl
Fri Apr 16 05:00:01 MDT 2004

Helge Deller wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 April 2004 11:44, Ulrich Deiters wrote:
>
>>I just wanted to install parisc-linux 3.0r2 on a HP C3000,
>>using an external serial terminal. The installation went more
>>or less smoothly, but the X server does not come up.
>>
>>The kdm log says "no screens found".
>>
>>I note that there is no X*screens file in /etc/kde2/kdm, but I do
>>not know whether this is normal or not - this is my first Debian
>>installation.
>>
>>What must I do to get my X server running? Or is it hopeless,
>>because the HP graphics card (FX2) is not supported?
>

> FX2 is not supported, but since you install via serial terminal,
> you could still run a X Server on your local PC-machine (e.g. via Xnest)
> and display there what you would see on the PA-machine.

That gave me the next idea:
Use Xvnc (the core of vnc from http://www.realvnc.com/) as the default Xserver.
Then you have both a text console (the terminal or whatever) and a local display
(be it that it is not hardware accelerated). Now you 'only' need a vncviewer at
your desktop to use the graphical 'console'.

Be noted that the Xvnc fron DebianWoody crashes on my HP-D370...

CBee