[parisc-linux] European Union and Software-Patents

Grant Grundler grundler at parisc-linux.org
Sun Apr 11 00:18:54 MDT 2004

Hi,
While SW patents seems slightly off topic because it's not directly
technical, I've been asked to put up a banner on www.parisc-linux.org
to protest the European Union SW patent directive.
Some examples of such banners are here:

	http://demo.ffii.org/online.php
	http://www.kde.org/
	http://bh.udev.org/

A bit more info is on
   http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/04/10/1627239.shtml?tid=117&tid=155&tid=99

Personnally, I have a hard time with SW patents though I understand
the general intent of patents. But given my affialation with HP,
HP's generous sponsorship of parisc-linux (web site hosting, servers,
HW donations), and HPs recent activities with IP (Intellectual Property),
I'm not the right person to implement such a banner without some
input from HP business or legal groups.

With a bit more private discussion (please send me opinions *privately*
if you have to), it's possible someone from the European Union with
CVS write access could add such a banner. parisc-linux.org should also
represent the volunteers that currently support the parisc-linux port,
not just HP.

thanks,