[parisc-linux] rmap: parisc __flush_dcache_page

Andrea Arcangeli andrea at suse.de
Thu Apr 8 12:42:45 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 01:28:17PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> So you're worried about our code?  OK, if you look, you'll see we only
> have to flush one address in the mmap_shared list, (which is usually the
> long list).

if you need to flush just one address, the prio-tree may give you an
huge boost, overall flush_dcache_page should become pretty quick in most
situations.

> I'd be very surprised if flush_dcache_page executes more than a few
> hundred instructions all told...that's certainly nowhere close to a
> timeslice.

What you miss is that the problem is not in flush_dcache_page, the
problem is that the _other_ users of the prio-tree may take as long as a
timeslice. So it's the _other_ user that you've no control about (i.e.
truncate) that may take timeslices with irq disabled.

But I've an fairly optimal solution for you, you should make it a
read_write spinlock, with the readers not disabling interrupts, and the
writer disabling interrupts, the writer of the prio-tree will not take a
timeslice, the readers instead will take a timeslice, but since they're
readers and you've only to read in the flush_dcache_page irq context,
you don't need to disable irqs for the readers.  I don't have better
solutions than this one at the moment (yeah there's the rcu reading of
the prio-tree but I'd leave it for later...)