[parisc-linux] pthread attributes and stack positions (gcc related?)

James Bottomley James.Bottomley@steeleye.com
28 Sep 2003 12:53:38 -0500

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 12:42, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> The variable is definately on the process stack. The thread's stack
> address seems to be inside the libraries 'writable' space and the stack
> size is wrong (or uninitialized). Perhaps I should just be looking for
> arch-dependant init code that we might be missing.

This, I believe to be correct: there's only one real stack (i.e. the
thing on x86 that grows down from top of memory) and only one thread can
have it.  The rest of the thread stacks are mmapped at fixed sizes with
a guard area to prevent them growing too far.  mmapped memory comes out
of the same pool that shared library memory comes from, so you should
correctly see the mappings interleave (depending on the load and thread
start order).

James