[parisc-linux] Fwd: Problems with raw interface.

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:30:52 +0100

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 07:04:50AM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:09:48 +0100
> Matthew Wilcox <willy@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > You have to find a way to walk all the address spaces to figure out
> > > where the page is mapped.
> >
> > That's ridiculous.  For a start, pages can't be mapped into multiple
> > address spaces without being in the page cache.
>
> How in the world can anonymous pages work then?  Of course anonymous
> pages can be in multiple address spaces without being in the page
> cache.

How?  By fork()?  If so, that's not a problem -- the pages stay at the same
address in both processes, and flushing one will flush any inherited pages.
Otherwise you'll have to be more explicit.