[parisc-linux] Kernel crash with 2.6.0-test4-pa8 on 715/100

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:06:15 +0100

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:57:31PM +0200, Ruediger Scholz wrote:
> I tried to boot 2.6.0-test4-pa8 on my HP 715/100, but it crashed right
> after the message "Freeing unused kernel memory...". I'm using debian
> testing with devfs and gcc-3.3.1.
> I think the pb is devfs, so I will try to boot a kernel without it.
> Bootlog is attached, Config, System.map is here:
> http://rscholz.bluehash.de/parisc

I'm seeing the same thing on my 712 without devfs.  Not sure what the
problem is, and I'm having a hard time getting that box back up as it has
a broken root filesystem (damn tar for being linked against libpthread!)

I decoded what's going on a little bit.  We're calling
drivers/char/tty_io.c::init_dev() with a `driver' variable set to
0x00000b00.  Quite what's gone wrong to get this to happen, I'm not sure.