[parisc-linux] Re: [glibc] tststatic failues, reduced to simp le testcase.

Carlos O'Donell carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:05:40 -0400

On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 04:47:59PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
> > That seems best. The sad fact though is that until I bump
> > min_kernel_version in glibc past the kernel version that last didn't
> > have this fix, I'm still forced to implement all this for people with
> > older kernels.
>
> Why?  Things are broken now and people have lived with the bug for
> sometime.  While it is possible to work around the problem in userspace,
> the best fix is to do it in the kernel.  I wouldn't fix anything but
> a regression.

It's best to use an example. Debian supports HPPA as an architecture.
I provide Debian with patches to make upstream glibc cvs buildable for
this distribution. If I make all the glibc fixes in the kernel, and
submit to debian minimal patches, glibc will build and subsequent
updates will render all userspace broken. As a happy medium I need to
make, atleast for all usable distributions, a set of patches that fix it
in such a way that we don't force a kernel update (people don't like to
update their kernel). The patches I send upstream will be different.
They will, to the best of my ability, be as clean as possible. I balance
users on one side, and the "right thing" on the other.

I agree, that the kernel, sharing the context switch path, and already
saving r19 should be held responsible for restoring r19. I've already
begun to run into a number of cases where userspace restores aren't
going so well.

c.