[parisc-linux] Re: NCR53c720

Rene Brothuhn rene.br@web.de
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 22:22:09 +0200

Hello!

On 2003.09.30 16:32 Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:59:32PM +0200, Rene Brothuhn wrote:
> > but the 720/770 registers are slightly different.
> > Is the NCR_Q720 or zalon driver working?
>
> Yes, they're both working fine.
>
> I went over the 770 register definitions the other night and only found
> one difference between the names of the definitions in the sym53c8xx_defs
> file and the 770 PDF and that was:
>
> -/*3a*/  u_char    nc_sbr;
> +/*3a*/  u_char    nc_sbr; /* dwt on 720 */
>
> This is the DMA watchdog timer, but it's not actually used by the driver.
> It's a `scratch byte register' on the 895.  Some of the `reserved'
> fields in the 770 register definition have names, but they were only
> ever touched if the chip was a sufficiently recent revision.
>
> BTW, I couldn't see a document for the 720 chip on the LSI site -- only
> the 710 and 770.  I presume I won't go far wrong treating them the same.

Sorry for reacting so late. I also have no doc for the 720, but I think
the differences between 770 and 720 are not so big.
I'm sure there are a lot more differences between the 8xx and 720/770. Not
only the registers or register names but also the bits inside some
registers are slightly different.
I have some PDF's on which the differences between the chips are
described. It seems that these docs are not available anymore on the LSI
site. I'll send it directly to you, because the size is to much for the
list.
I hope this will help you.

I have looked into the driver a little bit last weekend and I guess it
should be possible to provide a 770 definition into the driver. But first
I have to got a workable 2.6 kernel...

Ciao, Renč