[parisc-linux] C3000 and 2.6 - need config help

Grant Grundler grundler@parisc-linux.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 11:49:39 -0700

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:21:26PM +0000, M. Grabert wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Grant Grundler wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 03:16:08PM +0000, M. Grabert wrote:
> > > The max. transfer rate of any 100BT network is around 5MByte/s.
> >
> > 100BT is capable of 90-95Mb/s ~= 11MB/s.
>
> That's theoretical, not really practically possible/feasible :-/

it's possible with a switched network. It's not possible
with regular hub where one has to deal with collisions.
Full duplex switched networks obsolete token passing as a method to
avoid packet collisions.

> > There's a website someplace that has 100BT performance numbers
> > for all sorts of card/OS combinations.
> >
> > I've measured ftp transfers > 10MB/s between ia64 and ia32 machines
> > over 100BT link.
>
> ftp? uncompressed? Well I'm impressed ...
> The fastest 100MBit link I ever had was 7MBytes/s.

This is an excellent paper on routing:
	http://robur.slu.se/Linux/net-development/jamal/FF-html/

Peak throughput (in one port of a 4-port tulip card and out another)
is about 50Mb/s because the single CPU is saturated.  He does better
with an SMP machine. Jamal later got 20% perf improvement (measured in
packets per second) using MMIO instead of IO port space . But still
saturating the CPU. Jamal was confident at the time he could route at
link rate (95Mb/s) with 64byte packets on a faster SMP machine.

grant