[parisc-linux] C3000 and 2.6 - need config help

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 03:07:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, M. Grabert wrote:

> Right now I'm using a 120GB IDE using the onboard IDE of the C3k, and
> I get just about 3MB/s with 2.4.22-paX, which might indicate that DMA is
> not supported (I turned DMA/32bit on with hdparm, but no effects). I also
> doubt that the driver for the onboard IDE chipset is much better in the
> 2.6 kernel, so I opted to install a IDE PCI card.

The IDE harddisk is running for the last couple of months, and I had no
errors whatsoever (using the onboard IDE chipset of the C3k).

However it appears that writing and reading from/to the harddisk slows
down the access time quite a bit (ie. streaming a 180kbit/s movie and
writing a file with 1000kbit/s makes the movie to appear/play jerky);
whereas multiple reads doesn't affect it (ie. streaming serveral movies at
a time with 180kbit/s each).

> Unfortunately the only new PCI IDE cards you can get in the shops these
> days that are ones with the Promise or the SiliconImage chipset;
> suppor for the Promise chipset under linux used to be crap, and
> SiliconImage is only suppoted with 2.6, but at least it works, so I went
> for the latter. Therefore I'm eager to get 2.6 running!

Can anybody tell me what config options I need to boot a 2.6 kernel
without serial console support (since it's broken) and without
STI (since I don't have a graphics card in my C3k)?
I've seen a config option 'DUMMY_CONSOLE' in .config, but I don't find
how to select it in 'make menuconfig' or any description in Documentation/.

I have several machines that run headless - I use serial console then.
But I never had a situation where I didn't even have serial console ...

Thanks for any hints,
  Max