[parisc-linux] Processes stuck in D state on 715/100XC with 2.4.22-pa17

Joel Soete soete.joel@tiscali.be
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:58:18 +0000

Hi Steve,

Steve Bromwich wrote:
>>>Just to clarify, this is happening during operation, not bootup. Next time
>>>it happens (probably tomorrow morning) I'll break on serial and try
>>>piminfo
>

> So much for that idea - I forgot I had magic sysrq on, so break just gave
> me the usual sysrq options. I'll recompile without sysrq over the weekend
> and see what happens, but in the meantime I've reverted to 2.4.18 to see
> if I get the same problem, just to make sure it's not faulty hardware. I
> checked ps, and all the processes in D state were ones that touch the
> drive (eg, find, exim, apache).
>
> I've got a J class at work that's not in production, so if I get time I'll
> try it out with the same config (or at least, the closest I can get) just
> to make sure it's not something obviously wonky in my config.

well, but those system are widly different (cpu, architecture, ...).

>>May be if you can, run hp diag tools?
>

> I don't have a CD in that machine - do you know if there's any netbootable
> images I can use? I have an HPUX 11.0 CD set, so if there's something I
> can pull off there I'll be good to go.

Good question? never have to test it but it is a bootable cd (I don't
remember if it is available via internet?) so if you copy it's image
(with dd) on a system, i think that following the faq how-to netboot
<http://parisc-linux.org/faq/index.html#netboot> , it would works?

>>(I have no clue about 715 model but well running 2.4.22 (and above) on various
>>b180, b2k, c110, N4000 and i have never encounter such pb?)
>

> Well, the frustrating thing is is that there's no debug output anywhere
> that I can find that's showing anything obviously wrong.
Don't feel alone, during severall month (2, 3, 4, ... I don't want to
remember) I try to get just a panic message from a smp kernel on a N4k
: no success :_(

> I had a skim
> through lasi700.c/.h and couldn't see anything that'd help, do you know if
> there's any debug/printks I can scatter anywhere to give me some pointers?

Sorry, I couldn't help here.

hmm, what kind of disk have you on your D: hot-swapable or fixed?
(with fixed disk, I already encounter a pb of flat cable and with
hot-swap disk a pb with dust on disks' support)

Cheers,
	Joel