[parisc-linux] HPPA Newbie

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:21:49 +0000

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:48:56PM -0600, Shane G. Brodie wrote:
> I have downloaded and installed PA-Risc Linux 0.93 (I tried several attempts
> with network images, but couldn't figure out how to get my 10/100 VG EISA
> card working and don't have an aui-Ethernet transceiver for the built-in
> nic).  I thought about downloading the Debian ISO's ... but life is just too
> short for that many ISO downloads on a low-speed ADSL link ...

OK.  We don't normally ship the 100VG driver, but I have tried it on one
machine once, and it seemed to work.  You'll need to compile a new kernel
(or at least a new module).  This card is driven by the hp100 driver,
so look for the CONFIG_HP100 configuration option.

By the way, you said you were new to the platform, so it's worth
pointing out that 100VG is incompatible with the eventual 100 Mbps
Ethernet standard (100TX).  Unless you have a 100VG hub (in which case
you need to hit Grant to stop him sending you obsolete hardware ;-),
you'll need to plug your network cable into the 10Mbps socket on the card.