[parisc-linux] Re: backport unaligned.c Randolph patch

Joel Soete soete.joel@tiscali.be
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:04:18 +0100

Hi Grant,

In fact I didn't discusse of this patch (which effectively remove code) with
Randolph but I back-port in confidence because it remember me a problem I
encounter when I suggest the "traps.c alignement" [1] to Carlos:
<http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-October/021229.html>

In the same time I was looking for Sukyo bug in 2.6 and point out that the
previous patch [1] make hang the system in place of the crash (due to a division
by zero).

May be my conclusion was erronious: "force_sig_info() would 'schedule'
a SIGFPE. But in this very particular situation of the early boot, imho the
scheduler is not yet launched." (Right/Wrong?)

Anyway I so suggest another patch:<http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2003-October/021251.html>

; which essentialy bypass force_sig_info() in kernel mode. But I presume
that Carlos don't yet ci this patch because he is looking for a better solution
in that special case (I don't know if it is possible to lauch the scheduler
earlier?).

Thanks in advance for all advise,
    Joel

Was the intent to add new code?