[parisc-linux] Installation on a K370 with Debian 3.0r1 + RAID1 boot.

Stian Søiland stian@soiland.no
Sat, 31 May 2003 23:40:29 +0200

On 2003-05-31 15:54:36, Siraj 'Sid' Rakhada wrote:

> If you skip this step, Debian will boot, but you will be unable to use the
> console.
> Note I have not actually done the above when I was installing - I cheated
> and installed sshd via a chroot setup - because I did not realise the
> ttyB0 major number was incorrect on the install CD. I'm expecting that
> modifying the device as above should work. If I had more time I would have
> tried the above method.

For later boots, devfs and devfsd should be able to handle this if your
kernel supports it.

> This is also the first time I've ever really used a HP box, and they are
> ... interesting :) e.g. is it normal that the machine will take about 10+
> minutes to boot up? (just to get to the boot ROM, nothing to do with linux
> - self tests are enabled, though disabilng them does not make too much of
> a difference).

Oh yeah, my K250 takes ages just to get started, the LCD display and
status line on the serial console changes with different numbers. Any
idea of what all those numbers mean? I suppose they are different parts
that are tested, but a translation would be nice.

My manuals does not explain these messages in detail..

How ever, nice guide, I wish I had it when I set up my system =)

... goes off-topic:

I have 6 SCSI disks connected, distributed in two raid1-sets for / and
/usr, and a raid5-set for /home. Some of the disks are 4 GB, the rest 2
GB, so I've done dirty tricks with partitions to get the whole thing up,
and not waisting any space, and I now even have a spare disk, although
tests reveal the disk is broken.. I've managed to get two more 2
GB-disk to replace it.. =)

Ah, yes, the K250 is BIG, but there's only room for 4 disks! Stupid!
I've placed one disk beside the CD-rom, connected to the other
controller, and the last disk in an external cabinet =)

I've wondered if it would not be possible to modify the housing to get
room for more disks... Would it be immoral of me to destroy the beauty
of a K250 by cutting some holes here and there? =)

--
Stian Søiland               Work toward win-win situation. Win-lose
Trondheim, Norway           is where you win and the other lose.