[parisc-linux] Re: [Linux-ia64] Linux, Itanium and PA/RISC

Markus Schaber markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:32:39 +0100

Hi,

m.delahaye@esiee.fr (Matthieu Delahaye) wrote:

> > [...]
> > As far as I know, the PA-Risc instruction mapping is done with lots
> > of software help. The concept is a bit like JIT-Compilers in Java.
> > (It is easier to do this when having a RISC code with equal
> > instruction length compared to ugly X86 code.) As long as my
> > knowledge is correct, you therefore cannot run any PA-RISC OS
> > directly on the Hardware, but you can run PA-RISC Software in any OS
> > that supports the instruction mapping, maybe one can even run a
> > PA-RISC OS inside a virtual PA-RISC Machine on Itaniums. (However I
> > don't know any such VM.)
>
> AFAIK, your knowledge correspond to what I know.
[...]
> But perhaps I didn't understand and you told me you already try it
> following David's explanation ?

I didn't want to argue against you, because I think you're right. :-)

I just wanted to clarify the difference between both "legacy"
Architectures that the Itanium claims to support.

Markus