[parisc-linux] Re: RFC: mmap patch

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:42:25 +0000

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 03:02:14PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
>    One other difference you forgot is that Sparc64 has writethrough caches
>    and PA has writeback caches.  This can make a difference.
>
> It certainly could, but I think sparc64's schemes will work.
> Please document any differences you discover, preferably with
> text to go into Documentation/cachetlb.txt

Well.. one patch which affected us, but wouldn't affect a writethrough
cache is:

http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/willy/patches/applied/shmem.diff

In that situation, the user has no view of that page currently so they
will read from memory.  With a writethrough cache it works without the
flush_dcache_page(), with writeback it does not.