[parisc-linux] Re: gcc-3.2 -> gcc-3.3 transition on hppa

M. Grabert xam@cs.ucc.ie
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 09:24:58 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, John David Anglin wrote:

> I should note again that 3.3 has a ABI change in the passing of small
> structures.  It also contains a fix for function pointer comparison.
> As glibc does function comparison in a number of routines, it needs
> recompilation with 3.3 to work correctly.  Then, I believe gcc needs
> to be rebuilt as libstdc++ depends on the thread implementation.  The
> last glibc linuxthread code that I downloaded was still broken.  I know
> Carlos has a patch in the works.

This means that future glibc (in Debian/PA-RISC, unstable) will/must
be compiled with gcc-3.3, along with all C++-programmes. Is this going to
happen soon or do you wait until gcc-3.3 is offically released?

Does this also imply that gcc/g++-3.3 will be the new default compiler
for unstable then? What (kind of) existing broken applications will be
fixed by recompiling with gcc-3.3?

Just curious, Max