[parisc-linux] Re: g++ (3.3): ...Error: Field out of range

Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:12:24 -0400 (EDT)

> Shame on me: I forgot to test with different compression option.
>
> I just do it and the problem doesn't occure any more without -O2 or with
> -O1?

The optimization level affects inlining and as a result the size of
functions.  There has been a lot of discussion on the gcc lists related
to problems with inlining with the new tree inliner in 3.3, particularly
in C++ code.  So, the problem should be looked at even if there is a
work around.  The first step is to determine whether this is a gcc or
binutils problem (i.e., we need to know if the size of the stub table
has overflowed or if gcc has miscalculated an offset).

It would be a big help if you would generate the preprocessed source
code using the exact command that fails except for changing `-c' to `-E',
and then submit it in a gcc bug report describing the failure.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)