[parisc-linux] A question about graphic cards - again...

dantes@altern.org dantes@altern.org
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:40:24 +0200 (CEST)

Hello list,

Although I have found quite a lot of posts about graphic cards in the list archives, I still have a few points unanswered, so here they are.

I'll get tomorrow a C240 which seems to have a Visualize FX2 inside (well the guy I'm getting it from says so). From what I understood, this card is not supported by XFree. Moreover, it's got an EVC connector (sure of that, checked it myself), and the adaptator for VGA is friggin' expensive...

So I was wondering about sticking a regular (as in "from the PC world") PCI VGA card in it, to get graphics and so on. And now, ladies and gentlemen, here are the questions:

- What about firmware support? Will the machine be able to display the boot output on a non-HP PCI card? (mmm... pretty sure it won't, actually)

- What about the kernel? Do I *have* to use STIcon or STIfb on HPPA kernels, or can I use a regular console?

- I have read somewhere that quite a lot of PCI graphic cards are not properly initialised by their X drivers (relying on firmware to be run at boot time). Could people share info about which ones are working, and which ones ain't?

- Last but not least, what about HP-UX support of alien graphic cards?

OK, that's all for today. Thanks a lot in advance for your answers, and best regards!
Dantes