[parisc-linux] We need our own libgcc-compat for a leaked __clz_tab

Carlos O'Donell carlos@baldric.uwo.ca
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 00:43:31 -0500

PA,

Problem:

- GCC used to export a symbol for __clz_tab (GLOBAL DEFAULT)
- Everything in debian is being built with newer tools (GCC 3.2).
- Symbol is no longer leaked (LOCAL HIDDEN)
- Libraries that had the leadked symbol are rebuilt (e.g. libcrypto)
- Binaries that had relocations against the symbol are failing (e.g.
  wget)

Solution:

- Create a libgcc-compat in glibc for the symbol __clz_tab
	= Various arches have them for certain symbols that were leaked
	= from GCC when we the GNU tools didn't have ".hidden"
	= So examples exist...
- Test the solution to see that atleast "wget" works.
- Put it into Debians glibc as a dpatch.
- Submit upstream for fame and glory.

I'm writing a paper and doing research until Saturday.

If someone feels gutsy enough to attempt a fix, please have at it...
If not, it's currently the highest priority item on my TODO.

Cheers,
Carlos.