[parisc-linux] CVS checkouts on ftp server

Paul Bame bame@fc.hp.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:38:33 -0700

> > Those aren't currently being generated (AFAIK).  What _is_ being generated
> > are the patches against upstream: http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/2.5/kernel-sr
> c/
>
> Ah yes, I saw those.  But then I'll need to make a vanilla Linus tree,
> and I am lazy.  I mean, streamlined and efficient.  =)

One reason I didn't bother with tarballs for 2.5 is it appears from
my limited sample that the tradition is per-arch patches -- and it makes
us appear to be more part of linux development rather than our own thing.

I also find that on slow links, I'm more likely to have a Linus kernel
tree somewhere nearby (perhaps on my x86 box) so only have to wait through
transferring the patch.  Less likely with 2.5 of course since it's changing
fast.

> It'd be nice.  Yes, I'd like it, if it's not a problem for anyone.
> Otherwise I'll try the above method, or slowly drag it out of CVS.  I'm
> assuming that occasional linux-2.5 tarballs might be useful for people
> other than me of course ...

Nobody else has asked.  I just posted a 2.5 tarball in the 2.5 patches
directory, which can then be kept up to date with CVS or with the
incremental patches.

> > > Also the /cvs directory contains a few files that look like stuff-ups
> > > from the CVS tarball roller: linux-.tar.gz and patch-.diff.gz ...
> >
> > I can see them... but I can also see the CVS scripts are still running.
> > Possibly they'll be renamed later.
>
> Doesn't seem to be; they're empty files (though > 0 bytes from gzip).  I
> think the checkout script is using an empty variable, eg linux-$i.tar.gz
> or whatever.  The 'latest' softlinks are to these empty files.  I can't
> see any likely-looking tarball-rolling scripts in CVSROOT/ so I'm unable
> to investigate further.

Nothing was obviously wrong with the script or log so I'm kicking it
off again.

	-P