[parisc-linux] 64 userspace

Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:40:28 -0500 (EST)

> 	Hi people,
>
> 	Where am I find the to do list to 64 userspace (to compile 64 bits
> applications)?

To my knowledge, there isn't one.  Roughly what is required is:

1) Kernel -- design and implement 64-bit system calls.

2) Binutils -- port hpux 64-bit tools to linux.

3) Gdb -- same as binutils.

4) GCC --  same as binutils.

5) Glibc -- implement 64-bit specific parts of ABI and system calls.

The ABI hasn't been discussed in detail other than it was to be generally
similar to that used under 64-bit hpux.   There are significant differences
between 64-bit hpux and 32-bit linux.  They use different linkers and
differ in the handling of function pointers.  The 32-bit linker was
ported from the 386 code while the 64-bit linker used by hpux was written
from scratch.  As a result, the 64-bit code is less tested and has more bugs.

Are you offering support from HP?  It's taken a number of years to
get to the current state of development on the 32-bit port given the
level of volunteer effort and support from HP.  What you are asking
won't happen for months, if not years.  The time to implement a 64-bit
userspace won't be as great as for the 32-bit port, but it still a
very significant effort.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca