[parisc-linux] Re: Generic RTC driver in 2.4.x

Richard Zidlicky rz@linux-m68k.org
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:49:08 +0100

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 01:35:33PM +0100, Helge Deller wrote:

> > BTW, perhaps we should move the global RTC_* definitions in <asm/rtc.h> to
> > <linux/genrtc.h>, or merge them with the ones in <linux/mc146818rtc.h> and
> > move them to <linux/rtc.h>?
>
> IMHO leaving them architecture specific in <asm/rtc.h> seems best to me, and it
> leaves the most possibilities to make them later more dependend on the hardware.

in genrtc the RTC_* defs should be used only for interface definition,
unlike rtc.c where they are 1:1 with some obscure bits in the rtc chip
and also happen to be the interface..
It would make sense to merge them into <linux/rtc.h>, whether it is
a good idea to do it in 2.4 is another question.
Stuff that is really hw dependent should use different naming (and stay
in asm/rtc.h of course).

Richard